12.1.07

GINGERLY SAMPLING JAZZ





Until I met my husband, jazz hadn't figured at all in my music consciousness . He is such a dedicated jazz fan that it was impossible for me to ignore any longer. He used to tell me that I'd probably been listening to jazz oriented music more than I realised, for jazz takes many forms. This was reassuring!

The first real jazz I related to was Concierto de Aranjuez played by Miles Davis. Yes, this was good! I was later weaned on Ben Webster's easy to love sexy saxophone. I haven't moved on far, jazz-wise, since then. I do not like the strident, "chalk on blackboard" type jazz. I need to recognise a melody - can't do without that! I've heard "My Funny Valentine" played in a variety of styles by five or six different musicians. It was a throw-away song for me, before this, but now I look on it with respect. The melody lends itself wonderfully well to jazz treatment. Miles Davis and Paul Desmond tie for my first prize playing "Funny Valentine" !

As for jazz singers, Diana Krall appeals to me. She's the first female singer I've mentioned in these blog entries. kd lang, while not a true jazz singer, fits more easily into this category than any other - and she's a favourite. Sinatra was on the edge of jazz, much of the time. Ella Fitzgerald never fails to appeal, she was the epitome of class.

As for songs, I recently heard, and loved, Diana Krall's version of "A Case of You" - a Joni Mitchell song. I think Diana Krall's treatment is exactly right - better even than Joni Mitchell's.

"Oh you are in my blood like holy wine
Oh and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you
I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Oh Id still be on my feet"

And "Midnight Sun", sung either by Ella or Diana Krall is beautiful -

"Your lips were like a red and ruby chalice, warmer than the summer night
The clouds were like an alabaster palace rising to a snowy height.
Each star its own aurora borealis, suddenly you held me tight,
I could see the midnight sun.

I cant explain the silver rain that found me--or was that a moonlight veil?
The music of the universe around me, or was that a nightingale?
And then your arms miraculously found me,suddenly the sky turned pale,
I could see the midnight sun.

Was there such a night, its a thrill I still dont quite believe,
But after you were gone, there was still some stardust on my sleeve.
The flame of it may dwindle to an ember, and the stars forget to shine,
And we may see the meadow in december, icy white and crystalline.
But oh my darling always Ill remember when your lips were close to mine,
And we saw the midnight sun."

I might have travelled to my limit jazz-wise, but my cycle of song isn't over yet . It continues in cyclic fashion, to revisit much that I discarded the first time around.

No comments: