14.1.07

LIVE PERFORMANCES


This small-ish Oklahoma town boasts a surprisingly modern and well equipped leisure, fitness and cultural center which contains a state of the art theatre seating 750. The local Arts Council is responsible for organising shows at this theatre. My husband's son-in-law, Jeff, serves on the Council and is responsible for booking the acts featured in an annual season of monthly performances. Financial constraints limit the type of artists who are bookable, so we shall not hope to see Madonna, Michael Buble, or Paul Simon here !
Over the past two seasons we have been treated to a wide variety of music, including, recently the Turtle Island String Quartet. Jimmy LaFave, a Texas-based singer-songwriter is next up in February, and in March the theatre will host a really unusual show by The Drepung Monestary Monks "Mystical Arts of Tibet". I'm looking forward to that! The season closes with Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband.

Next season, starting September, is set to be exciting. Leon Russell(above) has agreed to perform here. One of his best known compositions "A Song for You" is a long-time favourite of mine. Jeff was slightly taken aback at Mr. Russell's requirements - part of the contract he entered into. As well as very specific details of parking facilities for his tour bus, he states that there must be proper access to the stage, steps constructed from piles of beer crates will not be tolerated. He will need six able-bodied and SOBER assistants to help unload his equipment. It's obvious that Leon Russell paid his dues in some less than salubrious dives ! He'll be pleasantly surprised by this little theatre in his home state, where the assistants are mainly God-fearing tee-totallers !

I've been so many places in my life and time
I've sung a lot of songs, I've made some bad rhyme
I've acted out my life in stages, with ten thousand people watching
But we're alone now, and I'm singing this song for you

I know your image of me is what I hope to be
I treated you unkindly, but darling can't you see
There's no one more important to me, baby can't you please see through me
Cause we're alone now and I'm singing this song for you

You taught me precious secrets of the truth withholding nothing
You came out in front when I was hiding, but now I'm so much better
And if my words don't come together, listen to the melody
Cause my love is in there hiding

I love you in a place where there's no space or time
I love you for my life, you are a friend of mine
And when my life is over, remember when we were together
We were alone and I was singing this song for you.



No comments: