9.1.07

SINATRA AND ONWARD......


Frank Sinatra has been an idol of mine for over 40 years. He makes every song he performs into a work of art. I use the present tense advisedly because, for me, he will never die. The wonderful lyrics of Sammy Cahn, Johnny Mercer, Cole Porter and their ilk come instantly to life when Sinatra performs. His magic embellishes less classic offerings with quality they perhaps do not deserve. He is able to take modern classics by Lennon and McCartney, George Harrison, Neil Diamond, Kris Kristofferson and make them golden.


Appreciation of Sinatra was possibly the only thing I took from my first short and disastrous marriage. Fortunately, both my subsequent long-term partners shared my love of this man's music- that wasn't a prerequisite, it just happened that way (I think).


I could wax lyrical all day about favourite Sinatra renditions, but the title of this blog refers to a Glorious Cycle - so, with a few lines from one of 'em, I'll move right along.


"I have been a rover

I have walked alone

Hiked a hundred highways

Never found a home

Still in all I'm happy

The reason is, you see

Once in a while along the way

Love's been good to me."


The Beatles, who made such an impression on the popular music industry in the 1960s, hardly entered my consciousness in those days. I looked on their music as no more than "jingles". They were of my own generation, but I didn't relate to them - at that time. I have since begun to appreciate their music, especially some of their later offerings. Maybe I'm just a late starter. Or maybe, like a good wine, they improved with the keeping; that is something I've discovered about many artists from that era.

From the psychedelic 60s I have retained few clear memories of notable songs. I ought to add that this is not from the usual cause of blurred 60s memories! I didn't ever have an opportunity to move in those circles, sadly I missed out on such delights. The Mamas and the Papas sang "California Dreamin" and "Monday, Monday" - these still have a place in my archived memories. Gerry and the Pacemakers, who ran concurrently with the Beatles, but to less acclaim, sang "I'm into Something Good". This song brings back a memory - a temporary boyfriend and me driving the length of England south to north, going home for the weekend, in a Triumph sports car with the top down and the radio blaring out that song. As it happened I was NOT into anything approaching "good", but the memory lingers.
As the 60s morphed into the early 70s I discovered Neil Diamond.

No comments: